Thursday, August 5, 2010

Prop 8

Now, I know I should not get all frustrated by what some people say on Facebook, but seriously, there comes a point when some people just say some things that really and truly get to me. For example, Prop 8. This is the law that was passed in 2008 that banned gay/lesbian marriage. Yesterday this was overturned. In my opinion, it is absolutely correct to be overturned. This was one huge bill of discrimination of the majority against the minority.

Don't get me wrong. I am a religious person. I believe in God. I believe that when we die, we shall go to heaven. I also believe that our God (well, at least MY God) is a loving God. He is there for EVERYONE no matter what your sexual orientation is.

If your argument is that marriage should be between a man and a woman so they can procreate and have children...well, then, ok. What about all these women having children from 5 different fathers and needing to go on Maury to figure out who her baby daddy is? Why not let a couple in a committed loving relationship be able to honor this with a marriage certificate and allow them to adopt a child...Lord knows there are enough children in this world that need parents.

Personally, I just don't get it. It just makes me think of the civil rights movement in which there was another minority in society that was oppressed. Now you can say that race and sexual preference are completely different things. Yes, one you are born into and one you "choose". But once you get down to the nitty gritty of it all, is it really that different. A minority group of people are seeking the same rights that the majority is entitled to.

Now you can call it civil union and try to save some face, but seriously, if it isn't called marriage, then in my book you are discriminating against the gay/lesbian community. If all you (and by you I mean lawmakers not you personally reader) are willing to hand out is a civil union, I guess that should be accepted...for now. But in the end, discrimination is going to have to end. All men are created equal right? Every American has the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Why block these people who are trying to pursue their happiness?

I know others will argue that this will just lead to a slippery slope. "Ohhh...what next? Are we going to be allowing people to marry their pets?" Uh, yeah. No. I think we can safely assume that bestiality won't be made into law since the animal can't give consent to whether or not he wants to be in the relationship. And I don't really think that those with object sexuality will be given the actual right to marry the objects of their desires.

Marriage should be between two consenting adults. Period.

Ok, that is enough of a soapbox already. So I'll get off it now.

5 comments:

  1. APPLAUS!!!! If my English would be really good, well, this is pretty much exactly how I would state my opinion! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that editing the haters from my friend's list on FB helps. Plus, no one gets to spout hate in my blog comments (my brother is careful how he gives his opinions because I told him no hate allowed). One of his friends was blocked for some of his comments, and the next time I told him, I told him so. He was actually fine about it and totally respectful - as people usually are when they are face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you "Me"... ;)

    Oh and Astro: This was a friend of a friend. My friend's post that I commented on...he's mormon, so I knew this would come from him, but there were some pretty hateful comments and I just had to say something.

    Then I got told by one of his friends that I was brainwashed by gay propaganda...bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are against gay marriage don't marry a homosexual. Why can't people just stick to their own business don't they have enough to do with that???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the biggest issue I have with prejudice against homosexuals is the concept that one's sexuality is a choice and, therefore, discrimination is acceptable. I would never have chosen the difficult path I have sometimes had to tread as a gay woman and gay mother. I'd much rather be able to get pregnant with my partner in a normal period of time without having to spend a fortune or travel to a country in another clinic to do it. That's just an example. My Grandparents don't talk to me and, I believe, one of the biggest reasons is my sexuality. My Mother struggled with, what I am certain was shame, for quite a time. All these things I would not have chosen. It isn't like hair colour - buy a packet of dye and hide your grey bits. Sexuality is in the genes and contributed to by life experiences. That's my opinion anyway. And, although I personally wouldn't want any more than a civil partnership, I do believe we should have the choice so thank you for supporting this!!

    ReplyDelete