So, without further ado, the finished pie...yum...
And a picture of the runoff...just so you know I'm not lying :)
I am a Texan living in Germany. I have always wanted to start a blog basically as a way to get settled here. I live in Weiden in der Oberpfalz and I am liking it pretty much. I do get bouts of homesickness, but I think that just comes with the territory. Basically, this will just be a rambling of my adventures.
Hey Jentry: we can confirm that run-off issue you reported. Here's our attempt at this pie. We followed your filling recipe, but used our own crust: http://jentryingermany.blogspot.com/2009/04/strawberry-rhubarb-piefinished.html#comments
ReplyDeleteThe flavors were great. I just wonder how we could make the filling a bit less runny (especially while hoofing it to the bus stop and stuff). Any ideas? Would it set more if we'd baked it a day in advance? Should we mess with the corn starch levels?
What I used to do was make 2 pies. Then there was a bit less filling and it didn't run over...I also made it in a spring form pan, so that might have also helped. I had bought this pie pan in the states the last time I was there, so I wanted to try it out. I thought that there was enough room, but nope, I was wrong. From the original recipe, I upped the corn starch in my *tweeked* recipe. If you do let it sit a day, it isn't near as runny either...plus, the flavors mend just a bit more and it is set beautifully. :)
ReplyDelete