Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dear Little Old Lady

Dear Little Old Lady that was in front of me in line at the grocery store,

Mind your own effing business. You are a mother (most likely or else you wouldn't be wanting to tell me how to parent), and your children were once babies...did you like it when people butted into your life and tried telling that your parenting style is absurd and you're basically raising your child wrong? Yeah, I didn't think so. Times haven't changed so much in that respect.

Yes, I know that giving my daughter minuscule bites of gelbwurst was probably not a good idea, but her real Oma gave her some yesterday and Amelia loved it, so back off lady and stop telling me that you know best. Grrrr..."Wir Omas sind a bissl vorsichtiger" (We grandmas are just a bit more cautious)...yeah, tell that to her real Oma lady! Real Oma wanted to give Amelia a knoedl at 6 months..but she got bites of one at 7 months.

Sorry, this is the second time in the past couple of days that some stranger told me that I am doing something wrong with Amelia. Seriously people, back off. My child is not hurt, nor did what I do hurt her. She is safe. She didn't die from me giving her little bites of gelbwurst. She is happily snoozing in her room.

So, the next time I run into a little old lady who tells me that what I am doing with Amelia is wrong, I am going to tell them to suck it...in English.

Ok, that is enough of a rant.

2 comments:

  1. I personally think that giving her bites of solid food rather than only mush can only be a good thing. Max struggled with textures for ages and only just started eating meat properly and happily about 3 months ago. If we have another baby, it's going to be Gelbwurst and Knoedel from the moment they are weaned. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't tell people what to give to their babies to eat (except popcorn- I am a bore talking about how unsafe it is).
    I also won't tell you what type of clothes to put on your children. It's amazing the cultural differences that show up.

    ReplyDelete