Monday, February 9, 2009

Going to the Dentist in Germany

I have been meaning to write about this one for a while simply because this was quite an interesting experience. I wouldn't call it a "culture shock" exactly. Just something that I noticed.

So, I'm off to the same dentist that my husband has been going to since he was a kid. Needless to say, the guy knew Markus. The other funny thing is that this appointment was the day before my first OB/GYN appointment confirming the pregnancy. So I had to tell the dentist office that I was pregnant BEFORE my mother-in-law found out. The bad thing about this is two-fold. Hirschau is a small town and the dentist office is directly across the street from my in-laws house. Luckily, it didn't get back to my in-laws. :)

Ok, ok, back to the dentist visit. In the States, the dentists and their assistants must wear gloves. Here, there were no gloves. Quite interesting. It was also a bit of a different feeling. I don't know how to really explain this, but it felt more "hands on", no pun intended...well, maybe just a little. Anyway, it was actually a pleasurable dentist experience. They fixed this one chipped tooth, cleaned my teeth, and sent me on my way. All for 10 Euro. Not too bad huh? I thought that this was quite an interesting experience simply for the lack of gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment