My friend Christina has this wonderful food challenge, The Real German Cuisine Challenge. She is cooking every single recipe in this cookbook called "Die Echte Deutsche Kueche" (The Real German Kitchen). I would have made more...ok, ok, at least one...previous to this, but to be honest, I just didn't and I don't know why! All of the recipes, and Christina's pictures, look so good. I guess since the past few weeks dealt with innards, I was more into looking at the pictures than actually trying it out.
This week was different though. It is a Blankenhainer Kirschkuchen (Bankenhainer Cherry Cake). There are loads of cherries in the grocery store right now. But what it really was is that cherry cake just sounded so appealing to this pregnant lady. So, that was it. I was going to make this cake some time this week and make a post before we leave for Rostock on Sunday.
Today, however, I was in the city and it was market day. There was this super cute old couple selling Fraenkische Kirschen (Cherries from Franken) and they were really good cherries (they gave me a few to test). I knew I had to buy from them, they were just too adorable. So, I purchased a kilo for 5 Euro. I thought that was a killer deal! Ok, I must admit, they were sauerkirschen, sour cherries, but I don't think it made too much of a difference.
Ok, back to the cake. It is pretty simple to make...but of course I have to mess it up somehow. More on that in a sec. It was really good timing with finding the cherries since my in-laws were coming up this afternoon to bring Charlie. When I got home from the market, I quickly called my mother-in-law and asked if she had a cherry pitter. Score! She did! Woohoo!
This contraption she brought over is actually pretty cool. I was thinking it was going to just be a handheld one, but no, it was a professional-ish cherry pitter. It took no time at all to pit all those cherries. It was a tad messy, but totally worth it.

Now on to the batter. Ok, I've got the eggs separated and the whites are beat stiff...the yolks are creamed with the sugar....sifted the flour and cinnamon in with the egg yolk mixture...got that all mixed up...OH CRAP! What the hell? Why is it so dense right now!?!?!

I have to "fold" in the egg whites. So, I'm thinking to myself, "Maybe they will fold in..." So I give that a try.

No such luck. The egg whites just aren't folding in. So, I have to choose another course of action. I'll just beat them in real quick with the mixer.

30 seconds-ish later, it looked like how a batter should look. Phew! That was a close one.
I folded in the cherries, put them in my spring form that had been buttered and floured and popped that sucker in my preheated oven.
I did need about 5 or 7 minutes longer, but I think it is just because my oven is a bit weird. Things always seem to take longer (and yes, I have an oven thermometer). Well, when I took this cake out it smelled incredible! I wanted to cut into it right then. I had to resist and save it for after dinner.

Oh man, was this a good cake. It was so pretty on the inside and the taste! The ground almonds made it so marzipan-y, and even though I had sour cherries, it was YUMMY! Thank you Christina for having this one this week! I think I'll go in for my second piece now :)
This week was different though. It is a Blankenhainer Kirschkuchen (Bankenhainer Cherry Cake). There are loads of cherries in the grocery store right now. But what it really was is that cherry cake just sounded so appealing to this pregnant lady. So, that was it. I was going to make this cake some time this week and make a post before we leave for Rostock on Sunday.
Today, however, I was in the city and it was market day. There was this super cute old couple selling Fraenkische Kirschen (Cherries from Franken) and they were really good cherries (they gave me a few to test). I knew I had to buy from them, they were just too adorable. So, I purchased a kilo for 5 Euro. I thought that was a killer deal! Ok, I must admit, they were sauerkirschen, sour cherries, but I don't think it made too much of a difference.
Ok, back to the cake. It is pretty simple to make...but of course I have to mess it up somehow. More on that in a sec. It was really good timing with finding the cherries since my in-laws were coming up this afternoon to bring Charlie. When I got home from the market, I quickly called my mother-in-law and asked if she had a cherry pitter. Score! She did! Woohoo!
This contraption she brought over is actually pretty cool. I was thinking it was going to just be a handheld one, but no, it was a professional-ish cherry pitter. It took no time at all to pit all those cherries. It was a tad messy, but totally worth it.
Now on to the batter. Ok, I've got the eggs separated and the whites are beat stiff...the yolks are creamed with the sugar....sifted the flour and cinnamon in with the egg yolk mixture...got that all mixed up...OH CRAP! What the hell? Why is it so dense right now!?!?!
I have to "fold" in the egg whites. So, I'm thinking to myself, "Maybe they will fold in..." So I give that a try.
No such luck. The egg whites just aren't folding in. So, I have to choose another course of action. I'll just beat them in real quick with the mixer.
30 seconds-ish later, it looked like how a batter should look. Phew! That was a close one.
I folded in the cherries, put them in my spring form that had been buttered and floured and popped that sucker in my preheated oven.
I did need about 5 or 7 minutes longer, but I think it is just because my oven is a bit weird. Things always seem to take longer (and yes, I have an oven thermometer). Well, when I took this cake out it smelled incredible! I wanted to cut into it right then. I had to resist and save it for after dinner.
Oh man, was this a good cake. It was so pretty on the inside and the taste! The ground almonds made it so marzipan-y, and even though I had sour cherries, it was YUMMY! Thank you Christina for having this one this week! I think I'll go in for my second piece now :)
Man, if I hadn't had strep throat this week, your post would have inspired me to run out and buy cherries and make this right away. I couldn't wait till I felt better and could make it.
ReplyDeleteThat is one awesome cherry pitter too.
i found your blog while searching online for a german cherry cake recipe. i worked in germany (Dresden, Saxony) a few years ago and miss the cakes terribly. also, cherries are in season here in the states, and cherry cake sounds appealing to this pregnant lady as well :-) just sent the husband out to get some almonds and cherries to give it a try.
ReplyDelete