Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Food!

This is a big topic in our house right now. Amelia seems to be not wanting anything to do with her jarred food....or even with the food I make that we have to feed her with a spoon. I know she likes cheese, and I know she likes noodles, so I made a kid version of mac n' cheese last night. Nope. Didn't want anything to do with it. So she got some cut up gelbwurst (bologna) and cheese. Oh, and let's not forget blueberries! She is madly in love with blueberries.

I'm thinking that this pickiness has more to do with feeding herself. This is big. However, I did try letting her eat the mac n' cheese with her hands...nope, she had her eyes on the blueberries and that is all that she wanted. So, I am trying to stick to things that she can eat with her hands.

Here is a list of what I have tried that she is totally in to, and some she's not so hot on:

Cooked Carrots...most of the time
Gelbwurst (bologna)
black beans
rice
noodles
blueberries
raspberries
CHEESE!
strawberries
salmon
peas...sometimes
apricots
soft pretzels
bread
bananas
red currants...the more sour, the better
potato dumplings (knoedel)
weisswurst (thanks to Oma)
peaches
egg yolk

I'm sure there a couple more on there, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

What have you given your kids at this age to eat as finger foods?

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a pretty good list so far! As finger food, Max was still fine with a spoon at that age and was generally fussier with texture for a long time (but went through the same phase as Amelia only a little bit later) and good finger food for him was always: banana, asparagus, toast, sweetcorn, french toast / eggy bread, boiled egg and toast soldiers, scrambled egg, raisins, grapes, bits of pasta might also be good (they can be dipped in philly or something like that). Max used to also love bread sticks dipped in houmous but you can't really get decent houmous here. Would work well with soft cheese too. Cucumber is another good one that some kids like. Can't think of anything else right now...hope you are feeling better by the way - you missed out on a lovely chicken pie I am just making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been going through this with Caden too. In addition to items on your list, he likes cereal, bread, bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes, chicken, plums, crackers, shredded beef, and bagels. That's all I can think of right now. It's tough. I have to hide what ever I KNOW he'll eat until he eats a good amount of what I want him to eat first. He's the same way with blueberries. If he sees them that's all he wants. That and bread. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete