Monday, July 20, 2009

Update on the littel girl

The little girl is doing just fine and dandy. She is moving like crazy, and the other night at around 4:30am, she decided she wanted to have a dancing party in the belly...so I was up until about 5:30 with that, while munching on some tums. It seems that her little parties cause some awesome heartburn on my end.

However, there was bit there where I was really worried about little girl. For a two day period, I didn't really feel her moving, so on July 3, I called my doctor in a panic, and she had me come in later that day for some EKG action and a sonogram. Fortunately, after I hung up the phone, little girl was on the move again. My doctor took a look at the EKG and after doing the sonogram stated that she is doing just fine, but I needed to go to the doctor on Saturday (which here is called a Notarzt or Emergency Doctor) for another EKG and sonogram just to be sure.

So, on July 4, before heading down to my friend Autumn's house for 4th of July festivities, I headed off to the Notarzt. I must say, it was a much nicer office than my current doctor, and since I'm looking for a different doctor for after the birth, this was nice. However, this doctor did tell me that I didn't have enough amniotic fluid...it was just a little to little, but that I should keep an eye on it.

At the next appointment with my current doctor, which was the following Friday, I told her this, so she did a sonogram herself and said that yes, I didn't have enough amniotic fluid and that I need to go to the hospital for more tests. I'm thinking at this point, "Holy shit! The hospital! This must be completely awful and my child will have some awful birth defects...oh God, what did I do wrong?" The doctor says to not worry, but seriously, telling a pregnant lady not to worry is like telling an alcoholic not to drink beer. It just doesn't happen. So, I walked calmly to the car, called Markus and proceeded to break down. I had to drive to his office, which was only 3 minutes away, but I hit some awesome midday traffic, so it took, what felt like half an hour (which was really 10 minutes).

He called the hospital and set up an appointment for me for that Monday...I couldn't get in on that Friday, but Monday at 8:30 am would just have to do. I proceeded to come home, break down on the phone with my mother and google what was going on. The googling helped, saying that later in pregnancy I shouldn't worry too much about it. And then Astroyoga helped out by saying that she also had it and had a wonderful birthing experience, so I was calmed once again.

Monday rolled around and we're at the hospital for the super-duper-delux sonogram/ultrasound (really, what's the difference, I have no idea!) and it was truly amazing! The detail with which you could see the 4 chambers of the heart pumping and the kidneys, and the brain, and the 3D look at the spinal cord and rib cage! Markus and I were pretty much impressed.

Of course, I ask the dumb question "Ist es noch ein Maedchen?" ("Is it still a girl?") because Markus wasn't with me when I was told the sex...and my other doctor couldn't really tell (since her machine is from roughly 1972). He chuckled a little and said, "Uh, Frau Meissner, das Geschlecht aendert sich normalerweise nicht." ("Uh, Mrs. Meissner, the sex doesn't usually change"), so then I had to tell him why I asked...He then reassured Markus that yes, it is still a girl. He also informed us that little girl is absolutely perfect. There is a little too little amniotic fluid, but that could just be because of how she is laying, but there is no other reason why there should be too little since all of the organs look perfect.

So little girl has a clean bill of health and I have a clear head now...phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment