I am now a huge fan of swaddling. I know, I know...I should have kept up with it after we came home from the hospital, and I did for the first week or so, but it was just so hot, that the blankets that I had to swaddle with were just a bit too warm. Well, now it's cold...and I mean cold (5 Degrees Celcius...really cold in F). This is just the high (!) for today. Brrrr...
Plus, the past couple of days, Amelia has been super fussy (possibly because of a growing spurt) and so she's been crying more than normal and has basically been an unhappy baby. Today though, being as scatterbrained as new mothers are, I finally remembered that my mother had given me a Kiddopotamus swaddling blanket made of fleece. Woohoo, two birds with one stone! It is super warm AND it is a swaddling blanket! So, I tried it out on fussy Amelia today, and lo and behold, 5 seconds later she is much calmer. Hallelujah! Wait, what is this I hear? Could it be? Quiet? Yes, I believe that is the sound that I am hearing. Sweet!
I also have the Miracle Blanket given to me by a good friend Janda and it is great as well. I believe I will try it out tonight again and have her in her sleeping sack...the miracle blanket is just a bit too light of a fabric to not have something else on it. Oh, and the other thing is, it is a bit complicated at night to undo it all (especially when your sleep deprived). However, we are getting more and more used to the whole sleep deprivation thing, so the unswaddling and swaddling at 3am may be a bit easier.
Now, I know that you can swaddle with any blanket, but my swaddling skillz aren't that good...yet. Plus, Amelia needs a tight swaddle, something that I need to practice a bit more. However, now that I know that this is a pretty sure fire way to calm her down when she seems unable to be calmed, I'm pretty sure my skillz with swaddling with anything on hand will become better, if not masterful.
And just to show you how much she likes the Kiddopotamus, I have proof. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You'll be an expert swaddler in no time!
ReplyDelete