Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sleep

I know, I know. As a mom, especially as a mom of a young child, sleep is totally overrated. But it is that whole getting to sleep bit that I want to rant on.

Why the hell is it taking an act of God to get Amelia to sleep??? Seriously, the past few nights (with the exception of my night from hell) she has been absolutely fighting going to bed in her crib. I nurse her until she falls asleep and then I move her over to her crib and then she screams like she is on a freaking spit. I have now turned to the cry it out method. I know that she isn't in pain. I know that she has a brand new diaper on. I know that she isn't too hot or too cold. I know that nothing like that is wrong. So...what do I do? I have no more ideas other than cry it out. I forbid Markus to go in there...even when he really, really wants to...especially when I send him in there to calm her down, he ends up not really calming her down and bringing her out saying that she is so awake, just let her stay up an extra half hour. Grrrrrr....

If you mommies out there have any other ideas or ways to help me get Amelia to sleep in her crib, please, please, please let me know. I am at the end of my rope sitting here listening to Amelia cry while I'm on the brink of breaking down...

4 comments:

  1. Good luck sorting it out. Jet lag in a baby sucks!!! Hopefully, she'll find her routine again soon.

    Just for the record, sleep is totally not over rated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might be because of the jet lag or might just be her age. You might need up to a week of crying it out before she learns that the idea is for her to fall asleep. It depends on what you were doing before. If you were putting her down awake before then it shouldn't be long before she relearns it. If you have never tried to put her down awake, it may take a bit longer. Key is - be strong and be consistent. If you do exactly what you plan to do, whether that be crying it out or controlled crying, Amelia will catch on. If you don't (sometimes you cave in, sometimes Markus goes in), she will be confused and it will take longer for her to get the message. On the other hand, if you cave, don't beat yourself up about it, we're all human, just try again the next evening. Don't worry, it won't last long. By the way - I talk here as though I have managed it completely with my own child. We've had melt-down over melt-down because of eating, sleeping but all I do know is, where we have managed to stick at it, support each other and remain calm(ish), it has worked best. Good luck Jentry. It will get better and then worse and then better and then worse and then she'll be riding a motorbike on the Autobahn and you'll really freak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way - I'll be writing my own entry on sleep over the coming weeks so you can see what might be in store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By now the sleep problems are hopefully over. However, I recommend the book, Secrets of the baby Whisperer for Toddlers by Tracy Hogg. She covers several ways to deal with sleep problems and other issues you might/will face with a toddler. I just wrote about on my blog what we're doing. I've read jet lag can take up to a week to get over. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete