Hmmmm...Where to start. Well, the flight. Amelia was absolutely WONDERFUL on the flight. She didn't cry at all...not even take off or landing. If she started getting cranky, I would offer to nurse her, and if she didn't want that, we would walk around the plane, play or I would put her in the Ergo Baby and go for a couple rounds around the plane. With the latter she would fall asleep which was awesome.
There were only 2 bad parts of our trip. A) the stupid in seat video on demand thing wasn't working...only in our row. They tried to reset it about a bizzilion times. All they said was sorry. What? Sorry is all you got Continental? I picked this airline because of these in seat movie things! United gave me a $250 voucher for future travel and all you got is sorry. Humpf. Then, when the stewards saw that Amelia was asleep, they didn't even offer to put up the bassinet. I specifically asked to be seated at the bulkhead because of the bassinet. Lufthansa put it up right after take off. Continental, you guys are slackers, and some of your stewards are pretty much dicks (I asked one if I could borrow his pen real quick to fill out the customs form before take-off so that I could get that out of the way. He just looked at me and said, "This is my pen and no you can not borrow it." I mean really. Come on!).
Whatver...that was the first leg...the second leg was awesome. Amelia was out even before we took off and didn't wake up until I got up after we had landed in Austin. Sweet!
The first few days were filled with getting over jet-lag and of course, a quick trip to the outlet mall. We went with good intentions. I need new shorts. Did I get shorts? Nope, I got a pair of jeans and a couple of shirts and Amelia got a couple new things. There is still time to get those shorts though.
Amelia did surprisingly well the first few nights with jet-lag. I was a bit worried I must say. The first night she was up at 4 for about an hour and a half. Then I got tired, so I took her up to our room and laid down with her and she drifted off to lala land roughly 3.2 seconds later as did I. The second night she woke up, but I just nursed her back to sleep and that seemed to work...though she was up at 6 ready to go. The next few nights she woke up during the night, I nursed her back to sleep and she gradually slept longer. Now (about a week later), it is pretty much how it was in Germany...just in Germany she didn't wake up in the middle of the night. It is probably because I am in the same room as she is and I think she is awake so I plug her in, but who knows.
The Thursday after we got in town, we drove with my mom down to Alpine, Texas to watch my little cousin, Sydnee, graduate as valedictorian from her high school. Amelia was awesome in the car. She slept for 6 of the 7 hours. Such a good girl!
It was quite nice to see the family again. They are such fun and wonderful people. I wish we could have stayed longer if not for this stupid sickness I got...
So, while in Alpine...actually on the day of the graduation...I had to go the University health clinic. I was walking death. I had so much congestion in my lungs, my throat was raw, I was coughing, my entire body ached...basically, I felt like absolute hell. Luckily, my cousin, Paula, knows just about everyone in this 6,000 person town, and she called to see if they could fit me in...I had to be there by 11am...it was 10:40am...no prob. We got there, I filled out the paperwork. They called me back and asked me how I was. I basically had a mental breakdown in front of these nice people. I was sick. I was away from home. Amelia still had a cough. I felt I was ruining my little cousin's graduation. They brought me some water and tylenol and gave me a hug which is what I really needed and I felt better after that...I knew I wasn't ruining the graduation, but when you feel like crap, everything in the world is horrible.
I went in and saw the doctor...she tested me for all sorts of stuff. Then I stupidly made a joke about hopefully it isn't swine flu. Big mistake. She asked if I had gotten a shot...nope. "Well, then we've got to rule that one out. This might be a little uncomfortable." Let me tell you how uncomfortable it was. Holy crap. Never make a joke about possibly having swine flu unless you want a giant q-tip shoved up your nose to what feels like your brain. Yeah...not nice. Luckily it came back negative.
I kept reiterating to the lovely doctor and nurses that I didn't have insurance and they were so gracious and wonderful. They tossed out a few of the tests so that I wouldn't have to pay for them and gave me loads of free samples of albuterol (to put in a breathing treatment). Luckily, I ended up not needing them, but my brother, the asthmatic, will most definitely put them to good use. I was surprised that the bill was only $138. That was nice. Expensive, yes, but for not having insurance it was nice. Ok, I do have traveller's insurance and I will be reimbursed for it, but I had to pay it up front first.
So, after a huge shot of antibiotics in my rear and a prescription for some more antibiotics in my pocket, I was sent on my way. The rest of the day was low key...that is until the graduation. By that evening, I was feeling a million times better. I could enjoy the lovely graduation and Amelia was wonderful enough to let me hear Syd's awesome speech. Let me just take a second here to tell you how awesome it is to be a valedictorian in the state of Texas. You are not only automatically accepted to any state university, but you are also given a full ride scholarship for 4 years! YAY! So proud Syd!
We left the Saturday afternoon after the graduation and the rest of the weekend was VERY low key. We went over to my brother's new house in Buda, Texas for a bar-b-que, and today, Memorial Day, we went to the outlet mall to look for those elusive shorts...didn't find them, but found some cute things for Amelia for when she is older. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment