Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkin Cheesecake

The other day I made a pumpkin cheesecake for the pumpkin carving party. It was quite a hit with not only the adults, but the kids as well. And hey, who doesn't love pumpkin cheesecake? Yeah, that's right...no one! So, here's the recipe...

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 tbs. butter melted
1 tbs sugar
1 cup sugar
3 8oz. (226 g.) packages of cream cheese
1 tea. vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1 tea. cinnamon
1/4 tea. nutmeg
1/4 tea. allspice

1. preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C
2. For the crust: combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and 1 tbs. sugar in a medium bowl and combine until it makes a crumbly paste. Press the crumbs into bottom of springform and 2/3 way up the sides. Bake for 5 minutes and set aside
3. For the filling: Combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and vanilla. Mix together until smooth.
4. Add pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Continue beating until smooth and creamy.
5. Pour over the crust.
6. Bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Turn off oven and have the door slightly open and allow to cool like this for an hour or so.
8. Store it in the fridge until ready to serve...it should keep for a few days, but it really won't last that long (i.e. it will be eaten before then).

Now, this past time that I made it, I had to bastardize my lovely recipe here...For starters, I used the Philidelphia Jogurt (yogurt) cream cheese with only 13% fat. I thought I would cut down on the calories a bit. I have done this before and it doesn't change the taste or texture at all...but I wouldn't go any lower than 13% fat. Also, because I rock at the conversions, I didn't get enough cream cheese. I was about 150 grams short...damn. It really didn't matter though...I just added a bit more pumpkin. I also used a teaspoon and a half of pumpkin pie spice from Penzey's. Oh, and here in Germany, you've only got Leibnitz that are roughly close to graham crackers (that I've found at least), so to the crumbs, I added a bit of the pumpkin pie spice mix as well.

Let me know if you make this and what you think of it! :)

6 comments:

  1. That sounds SO good, but I live in a world of pumpkin haters so I'd have to eat it all by myself. Which I would do, and that is not a good thing. And yeah, those sneaky German packages of cream cheese are usually only 200 g instead of 250g so you can get caught out the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But surely we can't get pumpkin pie mix in a tin here? I can only guess your family brought it over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina: Oh no! Having a houseful of non-pumpkin lovers is hard! But hey, more pie for you then right! :)

    Carla: I have a friend who knows someone who knows someone that can shop at the US Army Base...the friend of a friend of a friend got me two cans...I nearly cried with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you get grahm cracker here? What are they called?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leibniz crackers are pretty close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I do Tammy is take half of the normal Leibniz and then half the vollkorn Leibniz, make those into crumbs, add a bit of sugar and cinnamon, and BAM! You've got yourself better than graham cracker cookie crumbs. :)

    ReplyDelete