Last night I made tortilla soup from scratch and good lord was it good! Luckily, I made a HUGE pot and now separated into 3 ziplock bags in the freezer for future meals! AWESOME! It is super easy to make and it is seriously really good. Normally, Markus hates soup...I mean he really despises soup...but this one, he just gobbles up! Score!
So, the recipe so that you can make this yourself!
2 tbs. olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 can green chilies (if you can't get green chilies, then use a jalapeno seeded and cut small)
1 or 2 cans of corn, drained (it depends on how corny you want it)
1 or 2 cans of kidney or black beans (again, depends on how beany you want it)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup white wine
4-5 cups chicken broth
3 chicken breasts, whole
Extras:
sour cream
tortilla chips
cheese
Saute the onions in the olive oil in a really big soup pot.
When the onions are golden-ish, add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Add in everything else and bring to a boil.
Boil for about 15 minutes, then take out the WHOLE chicken breasts and cut into chunks or shred...whichever you prefer.
Add the chicken back to soup and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Serve! You can add in some sour cream and cheese...I do...then I crumble up some tortilla chips and put them in there too, or I use the soup as a dip, or I do both! :)
I hope you like this recipe! It is pretty simple, especially if you get everything chopped up before you start cooking...then it goes real fast!
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds great! Probably a bit spicy for young Max but we could always drop the jalapenos from his..will let you know how we get on with it!
ReplyDeleteYum! I love tortilla soup. Stefan isn't a fan of soup either but he tolerates a few of them. Must be a German thing :)
ReplyDelete