Well, something old really, but it's always good to re-learn things, right? This little lesson comes in the form, "taking some things with a grain of salt". Yeah, not the easiest lesson to learn, or re-learn and I don't know if it ever really sinks in.
So, here's the situation. We're at a good friend's house for his birthday party. All of our friends are there and the ladies of the group, sans moi, are partaking in a weight loss course. They've made little comments here and there about, "Oh, you don't want to take the class with us." or "So, you're NOT going to take the class...oh." You know...with that certain tone that can seem to just get under your skin.
Last night they were chatting about what they order now when they go to McD's and then had a remark about how I'm so lucky because I don't have to worry about what to order when I go there...like I go there all the time...whatever...I just let these slide.
Then the conversation turned to how often Markus goes to the gym and how muscular he's getting, which is most definitely true. He does enjoy going to the gym and working out. He's there right now as a matter of fact. Awesome for him...that's that he does. Then came the comment I was not expecting. "Jentry, don't you want to go to the gym too so that you fit better to your husband?" Yeah...ouch. I know it wasn't meant in a mean sort of way and I know that Germans are just pretty blunt about...well...about everything. I know it was meant jokingly, but yeah...ouch.
I know I'm not the fittest of my friends, but I am happy with myself. I don't feel the need to always analyze myself. I know that I need to get in a bit better shape than I am now...I consider myself fluffy. I like fluffy. It's what I have been most of my life. I can still out-swim Markus. I take Charlie out for about an hour or more each time he is here. I play with my daughter. I watch what I eat (eat less, eat better, eat more veggies and less meat). It is no weight watchers, but hey, it is what I think will work for me. It just gets a bit old when I keep getting these little comments from friends.
Like I said. I know Germans are blunt and I just have to keep reminding myself of this. They don't mean it in a mean way...they just mean it in their German way...and this, I must learn to take with a grain of salt.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
even if it was meant critically, just remember most of express our self judgment by judging others. It's more likely there issue and has little to do with your fabulous, fluffy self :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you my sweet dear friend! ;)
ReplyDeleteIt is such a beautiful thing to be happy with yourself. Stay happy :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I think you are so polite calling it just 'blunt'. Rude is what I would have called it.
I just read this ... and just don't know what to say. Rude transcends language and culture ... didn't their mothers teach them what's important? Are they fixing all those healthy meals with their expensive cooking machines? It's one thing to be rude to someone ... but it's a whole different ball game to be rude to someone's daughter! Grrrrr.
ReplyDelete