Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Slingbox Solo

No, my dear gay friends, this is not a sling that you can use by yourself, this is a way for me to watch US television over here in Germany. (You dirty minds you!)

The adventure begins really when I moved to Germany May 27, 2007 (wow, almost 2 years now!). German TV is ok, but really, it doesn't hold a candle to US television. They do have US shows, but there is always something lost in translation, and not to mention that the dubbers seem to all sound the same. I must make the disclaimer here that I am in no way a TV addict. I like TV. I like my horrible reality TV every now and then, but seriously, who could not like Food Network or TLC? You're not human if you don't think what The Barefoot Contessa puts on the table doesn't look absolutely yummy. Come on! It's Ina Garten! She makes it all look so easy!

Ok, enough about Food Network. So living over here, I have begun to like a few shows here and there. They are mostly reality shows though. "Das Perfekte Dinner" is probably my favorite. Five contestants have to cook a three course meal and be judged by their peers. The only problem is that it is on EVERY night. Sometimes I miss watching the contestants that I really want to see...and then you see some people try to cook "American" or "Mexican" food and you see how they utterly mess it up. No my German friends, adding corn to a dish doesn't make it automatically Mexican. I swear.

So there was always this longing for quality programming. Ok, ok, if I am being serious with myself here, I mean to say quality food programming. There, I said it. About a half a year ago, I met a lovely gal named Christina G. She is somewhat of a goddess in the blogger community over here in Germany. Everyone knows her blog and she's been up for a few blogger awards. She is also a pretty awesome person. I read on her blog something about this wonderful piece of technology called a "Slingbox". She is able to watch US television in Germany...legally!


Do you hear the angels singing too?

Holy cow! My prayers have been answered! I can finally watch and see what the Iron Chefs will do with Basil/sardines/sauerkraut/fetal pig as the secret ingredient! I can see if those little people can actually make it in this big world! I can see how Jon and Kate are able to handle sextuplets and twins! I can DVR any show that I'd like! Truly amazing news!


How does this thing work exactly? Well, let me explain the absolute simple wonders of this little, wonderful piece of technology.




There are a couple of versions of the Slingbox. There is the Solo and the HD one. I decided to go with the Solo since if I were to hook up my computer to our TV, it wouldn't be HD, and plus, the solo was A LOT cheaper, so I went with this one. The other thing that I needed to get was an extra cable box. You need to have a cable box that you are able to control remotely (you get these little infrared sensor thingies that you need to attach to the cable box and it acts like your remote.). One thing that I did find out later, since I was so freaking excited about this little bit of technology, was that the Slingbox needs to be plugged directly into the router. Where I was setting this up, the router is 2 rooms away.


Oh no! Crisis! Luckily, those smarties over at Slingmedia have thought about this can came up with the "Slinglink". This is a nifty little device that is like a wireless hookup for your slingbox to the router when you're slingbox is in a different room. Eureka! Problem solved. It was a bit expensive, though, to solve that problem. The Slinglink was about 75 bucks (plus tax). A picture of the Slinglink:


The setup was a breeze. You just have to install the Slingplayer on your computer, type in your username and password (you have to set this up on a computer that is connected to the Slingbox network, i.e. the network which the slingbox is hooked up to) and voila! You are able to watch TV remotely. I was so excited about this I wanted to try it out with my friend Emily's computer at a Starbucks down the street to see if it really worked or if I needed to take the whole thing back. It was a beautiful thing when that picture of Maury popped onto the screen. I tried changing the channels, and it really worked like a breeze. Then, I sent Markus a detailed e-mail (it wasn't long since set-up is so easy) on how to set this up, and he was up and running in about 2 minutes (plus the time to download the player).


The realy nice thing about the slingplayer is that you have two options about how you control the box. You can use a virtual remote control:


Or you can choose from a guide list. The only problem with the guide list is that you can't DVR shows that way, you have to use the remote...however, I'm pretty sure that is a way around that, and I'm still working on that. The slingplayer with the guide list:


So, now I'm back in Germany, and I must say, I am extremely happy with the Slingbox Solo. Of course, the picture quality isn't spot on, but it isn't horrible either! We haven't hooked it up to the TV yet to see how the picture will be, but we are going to try that out tonight when we watch The Daily Show. I'm sure I'll have another update about this later.

So, here's the breakdown of the costs of the Slingbox:

Slingbox Solo: ~$180
Slinglink: ~$75
Cable box: ~$21/month
Watching US TV in Germany: Priceless!

4 comments:

  1. The formatting on this post is off...I'm going to thank blogspot for this as I have tried and tried to change it, but it just ain't happening! Annoying. So, sorry for the annoyance and the abrupt changes from really large lettering to really small lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jentry,

    My name is Frank. I am german and my gf is from the US (PA). I would like to buy her the sling box so she is able to watch her favourite shows like "The office" or "Law and Order SVU". Can you tell me where you can buy the box (Mediamarkt, Saturn, etc.?) and how satisfied you are with it? That would be great.
    Viele Grüße
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, i forgot. Could you post your answer on this blog? Or you send me an e-mail (f_1977@web.de). Thank you again.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sent you an e-mail Frank!

    Short answer: I didn't buy it in Germany, I bought it in the US and that is where the actual Slingbox is, but I explain that all in the e-mail!

    Let me know if there's anything else I can help you out with!

    ReplyDelete