Here in Germany, you will see lots of cars (ok, not lots, just more than in the US) with window stickers on the back. No, I'm not talking about those that have the children's names on the back. I'm talking about those that take up the ENTIRE rear window.
I know, I know. There are people in the States that like to do this too. I remember after Selena died, there were loads of cars with some sort of tribute to her. There are others that have the confederate flag foiled on the back window (those I really dislike!).
Here in Germany though, they seem to be a different breed, those that put giant stickers on the back of their car windows. They are young (not that the confederate flag people are not) and they seem to watch just a bit too much of MTV's "Pimp my Ride". You see the occasional "Playboy" with the playboy bunny on the back.
However, then you get those that try to be cool by writing in English, but they really come off looking like illiterate dumbasses. Take for example, the dude in the "pimped" Ford Fiesta. He had his car lowered, had some "sweet rims" on and to top it off, he had a spoiler...on a Ford Fiesta! But what really blew my mind away (and made me point and laugh, and then kick myself for not having my camera on me) was the window sticker that this cool dude had.
It started off well enough. At the top there was "WRC" in fancy writing, then it had the big Ford logo in the center, basically taking up the entire window. But what really made Markus and I pee our pants was what came next. Underneath the Ford logo were the words "Wourld Rally Championchip". I kid you not! Markus noticed that he keenly replaced the "s" with a "c" in championship. Then while we were laughing with that, I noticed the awesomeness with which he spelled world.
Seriously, what did this guy think as he was ordering it?
Cool Dude: Yes, I'd like to order a custom sticker for my car.
Salesperson: Ok, so we've got the letters W-O-R-L-D, R-A-L-L-Y, and C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P...is this right?
CD: No, no, you've misspelled that! it is W-O-U-R-L-D and C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-C-H-I-P!
S: Uh, I'm pretty sure it's not, but whatever you'd like, your the customer.
Use spell check cool dude!
So, moral of the story is that if you see this guy driving around Regensburg (which is where we saw him) you have every right to point and laugh at him. I give you permission.
Now is about the time when we come to the debate as to the use of English in the German language...but that shall be saved for another time. Sarah and Cliff have already hit on this point (as have many other expat bloggers) and I think I'll wait for another awesome example before I go ranting on about that again :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heh. That bad enough that I almost want to forgive them for all the messed up possessive/plural apostrophes I see everywhere.
ReplyDeleteBut not quite.